Thursday, June 13, 2019

Interview with LemonChiffon


LemonChiffon is a long time SMW member. She has an avant-garde flair to her outfits that always inspires me. Her featured look was simply stunning.

What is your name/what would you like us to call you?
A: My real name is Keshia, my friends call me Key or Kiwi. People can call me whatever they feel comfortable with, usually people just shorten my username.

Where are you from? What languages do you speak?
A: I was born in the U.S., but I was raised in Mexico, which means I speak Spanish fluently.

What do you do for a living?
A: I am a Curator at a contemporary art museum.

How did you come to the decision to pursue your current career?
A: I've always been in love with the arts and museums since I was very young. My first visit to the Met cemented I wanted to work somewhere similar, though it took me a really long time to figure out the path I wanted to take to get there. It also took me a while to stand firm that that's what I wanted to do because my parents were worried I wouldn't be able to find a job getting an arts degree. I started off with antiquities, and I was positive that was where my career path was headed, particularly when I went to live in Italy for a while to complete a field school in art restoration. It wasn't until I happened to intern at a contemporary art museum (my last choice lol) that I truly fell in love with the idea of not only working with contemporary art but with living artists. There is something so magical about being a part of someone's passion and sharing that conversation with a community of people. Particularly because so many artists are activists, trying to make a difference in the world. So, in case it wasn't obvious, I love my job even if it means I'm hardly ever home because it's so crazy haha.

How long have you been on SD? What got you into it?
A: Gosh, I've been on SD for a while, I think I might have joined in 2008? I've played on and off since then. I don't even think I remember what got me into it.

Who are your favorite fashion designers? Recent collections?
A: Alexander McQueen, Iris Van Herpen, Guo Pei and Pierpaolo Piccioli are a few of my favorites. Which means obviously Valentino's latest collections have caught my eye, particularly Spring/Summer 2019.

How would you describe your SD style and your irl style?
A: Colorful. I think my SD style is way more edgy than my real life style. I love color, I love trying new things in all aspects of my life which means I do like to try current trends (even if I keep my closet full of classic staples because who doesn't? haha), and I try to experiment even if I'm not quite as adventurous as my SD style. I think I'm a good mix of classic contemporary.

What inspires you to create your looks?
A: Other dolls! I get so inspired by everyone else's creativity. It pushes me to try new thing, new ways of using and layering items I never would have tried on my own. Everyone is so brilliant at putting together looks I think it breeds some awesome creativity.

Do you enjoy other forms of design or art?
A: As my job suggests, yes very much so lol I've always been in love with art from pre-historic cave paintings to the latest work from someone like Marina Abromavic. I think fashion, design, music and art all fall under this similar umbrella for me that really feeds my soul.

Is there anything you wish would come back into fashion?
A: Hats, gloves, parasols...fun accessory type items like that I think would be awesome if they were more prevalent in fashion. I love old Hollywood glamour and I really wish we could go back to some of that type of elegance in fashion. Think Rita Hayworth, Lauren Bacall, Joan Crawford, Liz Taylor, Bette Davis, Marlene Dietrich...I could go on forever.

Do you like to read? What books are your favorite?
A: I LOVE to read. My mom and I actually participate in the GoodRead challenge every year, and try to read around 100 books a year. I get it from my mom for sure, she's also a book nut. I don't even know if I could pick a favorite I love a good mystery so Agatha Christie has been a favorite since I was about fifteen and stealing my mom's books haha. I love sci-fi and fantasy (obviously harry Potter was huge to me), romance (I'm a sucker for a trashy romance I admit it lol)...I'm certainly not picky when it comes to genre, though I am picky when it comes to the style of writing authors.

Do you have any fandoms you are a part of?
A: I think most people know I'm a massive ARMY lol. I've been a fan of BTS since they debuted way back in 2013. Probably TMI, but when I first found them I was going through a really tough time mentally and struggling quite heavily with depression and self-harm. I didn't know what direction I wanted to take and was kind of drifting. Their music and their lyrics really touched me, particularly a song of theirs called Tomorrow. Crazy story, but they're actually the reason I left a more "secure" major and decided definitively to try my luck in the arts against my parent's wishes. haha. A lot of people don't get it, which is totally cool, but they've formed a huge part of my life and I will be forever grateful I found them when I did. They've really been such a massively positive influence on my life.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?
A: Read, hands down, but I also really love to write. I'm hoping I'll be able to publish my own book someday. 

What is something about you that would surprise people?
A: I feel like I'm a pretty open book lol. I don't know what would be surprising...maybe that I struggled for so long with depression and self-harm. I'm a pretty up-beat positive person, so I think it surprises people who didn't know me then. People get curious because they can see the scars on my arms, and I like to be really open about it. I think it's important to raise awareness, and to know there's no shame in it. Just want to put it out there that because I have no problem talking about it. If anyone is going through a hard time and needs someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Do you like to travel? What are some of your dream travel destinations?
A: I love to travel! I'd love to go to Thailand, India, Africa, Korea...so many, many places.

What are your favorite food? What are some foods you hate?
A: Um...I love food. Period. My favorite cuisine is probably Indian, though if I'm honest, I really love all Asian cuisine I've tried. Thai, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese are also massive favorites. I also love Mexican because I grew up with it. My mom is the best cook ever haha. I'm not picky at all so I have very few foods I hate, off the top of my head I'd say papaya.

What kinds of music do you listen to?
A: All kinds, everything from metal to classical, which might seem crazy to some people. I try not to limit myself. I'm open to new experiences and new things, and if I like something I like something. I tend to "curate" my music through songs, rather than specific artists or genres. I'm moved by songs that speak to me, or that I relate to or have related to at some point in my life. I love a good BOP though, haha.

Do you like to cook?
A: No! I can cook, but I don't enjoy it.

Do you like makeup? What are your favorite makeup brands?
A: Obsessed. ABH, Too Faced, KVD, Melt, Urban Decay, Bite, Colourpop...the list is endless.

If you could go back in time to any point in history, where would you go?
A: Quite honestly I don't know if I would lol it sounds romantic, but the reality of most of history is not pretty. If anything it would be to solve a mystery. I'd love to meet some of the most powerful and badass women in history to hear thei version of events, like Hatshepsut or Cleopatra, Frida Kahlo, Ida B Wells, Harriet Tubman, Sappho, Maud Stevens Wagner, Boadicea, Marie Antoinette, etc, etc.

If you were the ruler of your own country, what would be the first law you introduce?
A: Equal rights on every level, to every citizen. Sever animal protection laws.

If a movie was being made about your life, who would you choose to star?
A: Hm. Maybe Zoe Saldana or Keke Palmer...

Thank you so much for the interview!




Share:

No comments

© Stardoll's Most Wanted... | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig