Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Elements of Art... Through Fashion

(Found one of my old banners, just wanted to use it for old times sake)
-
There are 6 known elements of Art. These six are Line, Shape/Form, Value, Color, Space and Texture. Although these elements usually refer to painting and photography, I thought it would be interesting showing these elements through Stardoll fashion.
The first element is color. Each color evokes a different emotion and a different style. Try using your favorite color with black accents. Having black in the outfit can help make the certain color stand out. I personally love my doll in yellows and golds because it is modern, chic and can transform well from day to night. This element is one to help you personalize your looks always.

The element of Line, is more complex than people imagine. Line isn't just about putting on clothes that have lines on them. It is about a) creating a line with the items you chose and b) complimenting lines in your outfit by adding items. The main line here comes from the neckline. It is abstract and drapes downward. The pleats in the skirt compliment the look and make my doll look longer.

Texture is one of the most simple of the elements. It is basically showing a certain texture, or showing a mixture of textures. For my example, I decided to show a mix. With the ruffles skirt, draped top, lace leggings and leather boots, we have a lot of excitement going on. So I made sure to keep the color pallete simple so that the look would not turn to tacky.

Shape and Form is an element that you can all have fun with. To use this element effectively, you must know the shape of each curve in the human body, and which curves are complimentary. I highlighted the hips and made the shape of them stand out. To compliment this, I used a Voile Holiday Vest with feathered shoulders that sick out to bring the look together.

Value is about the different values between black and white. This means the darkest black, the lightest white, and all of the greys in between. Using value, you can add excitement without bold colors. It leaves a lot of room for interpretation so that you can let your creativity shine. You can go more daring when you don't have to worry about mixing and matching colors.




Space is easily the hardest element to evoke through fashion. In a picture, space refers to the space between what is being focused on and whatever is behind it. So basically, it is a about a three dimensional look. To do this, try showing the space between the clothing and your doll. Meaning: Cutouts. Cutouts can add a much needed edge to your outfit while leaving an infinate possibility of looks


So I hope you take these rules to heart and use them next time you make your outfits. The elements of art are a great guideling to go by because they leave room for so much creativity. None of them show a specific thing to do which is great. You can interpret them in your own way and let your true self shine.

Share:

27 comments

Baya Nikolas said...

I'm an Stardoll tabloid reporter. I write about all the hot and juicy gossip of Stardoll's elite clan. From who's dating who to the latest catfight and feuds.

*My blog should not be taken seriously. It's want I like to call a fake-gossip blog. It's for pretend purposes only. More of a "What If...." type of thing. Some gossip will be real at times though. The blog is meant to be funny, yet very entertaining also.

SDelitenews.blogspot.com

-Baya Nikolas

Heart Newbridge said...

^^^

People are not supposed to advertise here, ya know :O

Cherri Blossom said...

very good article, i think more people should know the different elements it can easily help you create an amazing outfit! you did a very good explanation of everything



_kool_kat_1

Mihaela said...

I love this post..it`s great..I think you really know what you doing and you are good at that!!

Tiina--- said...

Very cool styling : D
great article!

Anonymous said...

pointless, or yaaaawn,
is there any point posting about "how to wear" ?
I choose not ,

BrunoExclusive said...

This was a bit boring and you do to much of the "how to wear" thing and pools are for that because if you do everything possible we don't do ourselfs

xxxxxqueenxxxxx said...

I loved the post : ]

sezena. said...

I Like all the outfits you created here
nice tips
good job ;)

Anonymous said...

Great post! very useful :D

-Trulove's - said...

im a Fashion Designer Student and that is so true..the art and fahsion goes by the had... is a great Article... Love it

Caroline said...

I like this post and the elements of art, I think they're quite good ideas and useful items for any wardrobe.
Not so sure about the outfits you've made though - most of them look like you've searched for the items that match the element and then just thrown them into an outfit.
No offence intended, I like the article itself. :)


Caroline [crazycaz07]
x.

sd_is_da_best / Sinead said...

Great outfits and great information aswell! :)

Chicago3 said...

I laways enjoy your posts. This is by far my favorite. the information/tips you posted are very helpful

26jen said...

I like the post, very informative! Maybe make a final outfit showing all of the elements working together next time?

nicole24-7 said...

I like this post! :)
Very helpful to avoid tacky outfits ^-^

Melissakuh said...

Awesome article!
I really think you can bring some new stuff to the blog. You already have!
Make sure you continue like this!
You can really see that you've put a lot of effort in it!
Good job! =D

Athena said...

NICE!!

thanu said...

wow u put alot of effort into ur posts and i luv dat!

ADJAJA/Anna said...

I agree with Catarinaa. You're writing flows beautifully, but I'm tired of posts about how to wear something and use different things in outfits. Sorry.

x

peace_oglory said...

I like this post :) It's fresh.

Emma said...

ooo...love the article!

leah said...

hate when this blog makes posts about fashion! so boring.....yawn

Abb_kate said...

Nice Post. I Felt Like I Was In My Art Test Again.

Cindy/lulu11052 said...

I adore this post as welll.

My own blog does things as well similar to this.

Love the effort.

Very inspiring.

marcia256 said...

that was so boringggggggggg

katsumy said...

To be honest,
This is the BEST post ever. I have to admit - you have a talent.
Keep it going! ;]

© Stardoll's Most Wanted... | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig